By ICN GroupPetro Chemical, March 27, 2019

Saudi Aramco to buy 70% stake in SABIC for US$ 69 bn

Move to help Aramco create long-term value and develop groundbreaking crude-oil-to-chemicals technologies

Saudi Aramco has announced the signing of a share purchase agreement to acquire a majority 70 per cent stake in Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) from the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, in a private transaction for US $69.1 billion. The remaining 30 per cent publicly traded shares in SABIC are not part of the transaction, and Saudi Aramco has no plans to acquire these remaining shares. The transaction is subject to certain closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

In 2018, SABIC’s consolidated production volume across its various business units was 75 million metric tons, and recorded net income of US $5.7 billion, annual sales of US $45 billion, and total assets of US $85 billion.

Yasir Othman Al-Rumayyan, Managing Director, Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia said: “This is a win-win-win transaction and a transformational deal for three of Saudi Arabia’s most important economic entities. It will unlock significant capital for PIF’s continued long-term investment strategy, underpinning sectoral and revenue diversification for Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, it will introduce a strategic owner that can add considerable value to SABIC and all its shareholders, while capitalizing on SABIC’s strong capabilities to unlock the opportunities for growth that Saudi Aramco, a key player in energy markets around the world, can offer.”

Amin Nasser, President & CEO, Saudi Aramco said: “This transaction is a major step in accelerating Saudi Aramco’s transformative downstream growth strategy of integrated refining and petrochemicals. SABIC is a world-class company with an outstanding workforce and chemicals capabilities. As part of the Saudi Aramco family of companies, together we will create a stronger, more robust business to enhance competitiveness and help meet rising demand for energy and chemicals products needed by our customers around the world.”

Abdulaziz Al-Judaimi, Senior Vice President of Downstream, Saudi Aramco said: “Saudi Aramco’s downstream strategy is focused on meeting global customer needs by securing outlets for our crude oil through the expansion and growth of our refining system and deepening its integration with petrochemicals production.  We are pursuing partnerships and acquisitions where we create long-term value, and developing groundbreaking crude-oil-to-chemicals technologies. SABIC is a good strategic fit and a solid platform to support our continued investment for future growth in petrochemicals – the fastest growing sector of oil demand.”

The acquisition is in line with Saudi Aramco’s long-term strategy to drive growth through an enhanced downstream portfolio by increasing global participated refining capacity from 4.9 million to 8-10 million barrels per day by 2030, of which 2-3 million barrels per day will be converted into petrochemical products. This Downstream portfolio will consume significant quantities of Arabian crude oil.

OTHER Petro Chemical

View All

Chevron Lummus bags technology contract from Chennai Petroleum

The unit to utilize proprietary CLG delayed coking technology

ExxonMobil plans Singapore expansion

The move is aimed at further enhancing competitiveness of the Singapore facility

LTHE wins EPC contract from HPCL-Mittal Energy

L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering (LTHE) has won a significant onshore EPC contract from HPCL-Mittal Energy for setting up 07 (Seven) Cracker Furnaces of 1200 KTPA Dual Feed Cracker Unit (DFCU) at their Bathinda Refinery in Punjab.